Friday, November 25, 2011

In the Buffer Zone

About a week ago I purchased a new 6 inch muslin buffing wheel for my bench grinder.  My old one was so well worn, that I was nearly touching the metal plate when I was buffing and there was very little surface area to work on.  I had ground the old muslin wheel down to about 1/2 inch away from the protective plate! Needless to say, it had been a long time since I had put on a new muslin wheel. 

I remembered the trick about taking the first couple of rows of stitching out of the new muslin wheel before I put it on the housing.  That was easy enough.   I just clipped every second stitch and the rows were done in about a minute.  Then was the fun job of taking the old wheel off.  It was on there TIGHT!  Fortunately we located the right size wrenches and got the old one off and then put the new one on lickety split. 

Yesterday (American Thanksgiving) was one of the warmest days  we've had in a long time and so I grabbed the chance to get some buffing done.  I don't want to buff in the house and it was a good thing I didn't do it yesterday.  With the new wheel (Whee!) I started with some simple beads.  There were pieces of muslin and threads flying all over the back yard and all over me!  I looked like a partly de-feathered Thanksgiving Turkey with all those little farfotzlies of fiber and string strewn all over me.  They were even in my hair!  After about ten minutes of buffing, the major edges of the wheel were broken in and things went smoothly after that.  I had about two dozen buttons on order and needed to get them buffed and ready to send out.

Then I set to work on some other larger pieces that had to be buffed and got them all done before the sun set.  There were many things to be thankful for. 

Not only that, I got it all the work done by Friday, so I can relax and get some Grey Cup goodies ready for a little get together here on Sunday.  I have decorated with a few garlands of Blue and Gold outside on the shrubs and have a couple of little banners made for the inside t.v. room to help our team on to victory.  I know they won't hear us shout, but we'll give a couple of blasts on the bull horn and maybe they'll hear those all the way to Vancouver.

Go Bombers!

No comments: