Monday, May 3, 2010

Upcoming Class Schedule and blithering

Over the weekend, I had an opportunity to re-connect with lots of my favourite people at the Fort Whyte Artisan's Market which was put on by the Manitoba Craft Museum and Library. After enjoying several uninterrupted weeks of sunshine and fine weather, the weekend unfortunately was rather dull with intermittent showers and cool temps.  So, the expected turnout of clientele was somewhat down, despite dh's phone-in to CBC advertising the event on both days and the organizing committee's campaign.. 

I know a few people heard the p.s.a. and made the trip out, but it just gets me to wondering...what does one (or many people, or the organizers) have to do to get folks out to events such as the one of the past weekend.  There were eighteen artists in attendance, and for the first couple of hours, I wondered if they would outnumber the visitors.  The variety of work being shown was great...no one field was over-represented and the venue was so peaceful and beautiful.  People who lived less than two km. away were not aware that the Show was even on.  One gal I talked to said that if I hadn't contacted her personally, she never would have known about it.  Yet one fellow, a visitor from Germany, said he saw the advertisement poster in a restaurant on Sunday morning, some 20 km away.  I was happy he drove the distance as he purchased one of my Mokume Gane pendants as well as another piece.  It was in different tones than the one I have pictured here, and had an entirely different presentation, but at least his interest allowed me to explain the process behind the technique. 

Speaking of Mokume Gane, that is what I will be teaching at the next session at Poco Beads.  The class will be held during  the afternoon of May 15th and starts at 1 pm, but participants are asked to arrive at least fifteen minutes before. It is expected that they come with their clay colours chosen and have the clay conditioned.  There's just not enough time in a three hour class to get it all done.  The instructions and supplies list will be available to those taking part by contacting Poco no less than three days in advance (that would be May 12) of the class.  The actual project being made could end up as in the picture, although I will be presenting more than one application of the technique.  If you live in the area and would like to take the class, contact Poco quickly as there are a limited number of spaces available at the clay table.  They are open afternoons from Tuesday to Saturday and I think they're open most evenings too, but check to make sure.

In other areas, I am also doing a couple of art projects in schools...you know it's Mother's Day very soon (next Sunday) and that means that the littler hands will be mushing up the clay and making their own  delicious creations to treat Mom to something special on her day.  The last group had plenty of fun and their works were awesome. 

And now, I'm off to loll around some more.  I've taken 'the day off' to celebrate my own thing...As they say in France, I enjoyed a grasse matinée...slept in, had a soothing bubble bath and lingered over a café au lait with some biscotti until ten a.m.  Unheard of for me...I am normally up and working by 5:45 am.  But after the past four weeks of unending 'busy-ness' I indulged myself. 

No comments: