Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Artist's Books


In preparation for my demos at the Forks again this week, I have been working on my latest book, and thought I'd show some pictures of the work in progress. I made the covers for this one a while back, and just "relocated" it prior to going to Sioux Narrows. I knew it was somewhere...

The stitching went smoothly. The funny thing about Coptic binding, at least for me, is that the first five or so books I made were so difficult to get the tension just right. Now, it is a 'breeze' so just a reminder to those of you who are struggling, to keep practicing, and eventually it will be easier.

After I got the spine done, I attached the little thingie that goes into the front as a 'lock'. Thanks to doing several macramé projects a thousand years ago, I got that done pdq.

Finally I added the beadwork to the spine. I combined a few glass, metal and other beads along with the faux ivory beads I had made and antiqued and strung them onto the two hanging threads and added a couple more so there are actually four strands.
I don't know how this is all going to get 'organized' when I finish this entry....Oh well. I do not compute. I am not a geek. Hope that the print version can be matched up with the pictures...




2 comments:

Violette Laporte said...

J'aime beaucoup ton couvercle.
And the beads...WOW!

Pat Sernyk said...

Merci, Vio...
J'ai beaucoup de fun avec tout ça.