Sunday, February 10, 2013

What's new in February

Can you believe that 10% of 2013 is already gone!  And I've barely posted on this.  Finally, I have a little minute to talk about clay and what has been keeping me away from the computer. 

I have signed up for a couple of Swaps-one is from the Arizona Polymer Clay Guild and it is a Cane swap.  I have finished my canes, but don't want to post pictures yet, until the members get their canes next Saturday, the 16th of February.  I may add a little something to the canes I've concocted, and don't want to let the cats out of the bag just yet. 

Last month I did a demo on making a business card case from polymer clay for the guild.  I am looking forward to seeing if some of the members tried it out.  It's a different twist on a case and I am thinking about approaching a publisher about it.  I took a ton of pictures for the method but sadly can't share any here until I get a definite yes or no from the company.

What I can share is about the other swap I am in.  Yesterday I sent my Heart and texture to my partner is California.  So if you are the recipient and don't want to spoil the surprise, don't look any further.  Otherwise, here it is.  As I mentioned, the theme for this was hearts and since I am not really into pretty and fussy, I made something "organic" and well, not crude, but just kinda different.

This texture plate is pretty hard to see.  I did it on scrap pink clay and made it by carving into the thick piece of  baked polymer with a v-gouge.  I did it in the 'zentangle' mode, so it's very random.  I made a couple of impressions with it and they turned out well.  So you'll just have to imagine the texture unless you have a computer screen with 'feelavision'.

The other part of the swap was the heart which  in this case has two surfaces, on either side of a little hidden box in the interior.  There is a little lid that you also can't see in this picture, but it lifts up and slides along the cords that suspend it. The heart (I call it a coffret-a French term) can be used as a necklace or a wall hanging and is just big enough to house a little treasure.  I tried folding a bill and it just fit in... rather snuggly. I had to use tweezers to get it out, but if you're miserly, maybe it's a good thing, lol.   Inside, I put in a little transfer on a shard of clay of a zentangle that I did.  The recipient can put in whatever. The cord length is adjustable, so lots of options.  The other side is textured differently and the beads are very dissimilar..and totally random.  I find that randomness is a quality that doesn't put as many demands on finished pieces so have chosen that route with a lot of my works.
In other parts of my 'shed/studio', I've been working on buttons and some other larger pieces that I am getting ready for a submission to a call for entries.  None of them are finished yet.  I am also working on some more woven purses, and have three that are almost ready for linings.  I have the beads and buttons made for the closure and decorative parts...just need to haul out the sewing machine and get some fabrics to complement the colors of the fibers.  The one thing that I find limiting about the purses is the size. Right now most of them are about 7 inches by 8 inches and I'd like to make them a little bigger, but might compromise their 'beauty' if they get too large.  So I guess I'll have to stay with the size.  They do expand quite a bit to accommodate lots more goodies than one would  think.   Here is a view of one that is not quite done.  So a work in progress is what it is!

I realize I have posted a picture similar to this one.  I apologize for the repetition.  I just wanted to mention about the silk sari yarns that are interspersed in this weaving.  Although they seem not to 'match' with the rest of the colors, they do have a few 'random' speckles of fibers intertwined.  And silk sari yarn is one of the most 'random' types of fibers I know...Loving it! 


No comments: