Saturday, August 13, 2011
I have been doing lots of experiments with different projects, with a modicum of success, but have found that the clientele at the market are looking for little things and are not after bigger ticket items. So this led me down the road to this very complex Venn Diagram. Taking all the things into consideration, some people liked cutesy, some people liked vintage, some people liked bold brassy colors, some people liked "frugal", some people liked simple. So taking all those things into the Venn intersection of how things 'interweave', I came up with the common 'denominator' if you will.
These Venn circles are not drawings, but the solution to the above set of considerations. I was able to locate some very (shall we say thrifty) necklace wires, which close by screwing the end bits together. I had paid $8 a piece for similar items a few years back in Arizona, and although the closure is a bit different, and the colors slightly different, they were a 'bargoon' just waiting to be gathered into my basket. So I bought a few recently and made some bicone beads that I placed on them. I mainly did them in shades of blue as that is the color of the wires, but methinks I will head over to the store and get some more.
The one 'snag' that wasn't a consideration of the above intersections of the circles was the size of the bore in the bead. It had to be big enough to house the screw bit, and yet I didn't want it to be so large that it would become overpowering in the smallish type lentil shapes I was making. The first few were (Goldilocks here...) way too small. So I decided I'd try baking the lentils on the wire. Just before I put them in the oven, I placed small black polymer dealy-bob 'bead caps' on the holes to make the holes appear a bit smaller. The bead caps resemble o-rings but really are just little disc beads. I cut a 'radial' cut to the centre of the disc, placed it around the wire and covering the majority of the bore of the bead, then secured it back into its circular shape. Doing this also prevents the bead from coming off the wire when the necklace is removed.
All these considerations take 'pre-planning', something which I rarely do well. I mainly work 'intuitively' and luckily for me, that works most of the time. The pre-planning and consideration phase is something I will have to become accustomed to, because, I guess, in the long rum, I do mean run, it is a time saving method.