Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Blue Book done and others

As indicated in yesterday's post, (wow two posts in two days) I completed the binding of the book I'll be showing at the Saturday guild meeting. 
The interior contains 60 pages (actually five signatures) but the watercolor paper is so heavy that the finished book is an inch (2.54cm) thick.  I've made a couple of other books...some similar and some not so, and I've loaded them with Charcoal paper, so it's still a good quality paper but not as heavy, therefore making for more pages inside.

The book that I completed that is similar, using the same elements but other paper is shown here.  It's the same surface size, roughly 4 1/2 inches by 3 3/4 inches.  The beads are a combination of glass, metal and the majority are polymer made from leftover materials used in making the covers.

I used many of the same colors of clay in making this book, but employed a different combination of inks on the covers and in the Shimmer Batik Technique.  Sometimes the colors of the inks change in the process of layering and the pink color in the final outcome was originally more of a lavender color.  I personally love amost all colors so don't have a problem with that.  I know there are folks out there that don't want any pink in stuff.  The way that the colors merge on their own is appealing to me. It's one of the things about polymer clay that is a tiny bit unpredictable, but oh so much fun when you get those unexpected happenings.

3 comments:

Jodie L. said...

Looking forward to seeing these at the Guild Meeting! Lucky us! See you Saturday!

Violette Laporte said...

Those books are lovely. Makes me want to do some.... beau travail!

Liz said...

Beautiful books - I love the textures and colour combinations.
liz