Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Composition for a Lifetime.


Yesterday I called a lady from a Quilt Group to come and have a look at some of Mom's unfinished Quilts...I dug them out from boxes in the basement. I haven't been able to look at them since I packed away her stuff in the summer of 2003. Of course I shed quite a few tears in the process of unpacking the boxes.
There were so many hours of labour involved in making the quilts. I remember the two of us discussing fabric choices and I was always encouraging her to use lots of contrast! She definitely succeeded in this one. She made making them look effortless...I wish I could sew well enough to do justice to completing them. They were truly works of art. Just imagining the calculations, planning and architecture in the construction of the pieces to me proves that she really had her act together.
This one is one that I have to get finished. It contains some of my favourite blocks and reminds me of the poem which begins "I am a part of all that I have met..." It's like a life composition.

No comments: